Tuesday, April 04, 2006



Why do people feel like they have to justify themselves to others or feel like they are “losers” for doing something that makes them happy? The definition of loser is as follows: los·er (lzr) 1. a. One that fails to win, b. One who takes loss in a specific way (graceful loser; poor loser) 2. a. One that fails consistently, especially a person with bad luck or poor skills b. One that is bad in quality. In my opinion, someone who is doing something that makes themselves happy, even if it is not socially accepted, is not, by definition or otherwise, a loser. It is a sad world when being happy is socially unacceptable but using the term loser is widely accepted. I honestly think that people use the term too often and it is usually jealousy driven or to draw attention away from personal attributes that they feel insecure about. Just like when someone’s parents buy them a new car, a person that wants a new car but can’t afford one will talk about how they are so spoiled and are not independent and turn it around to be a bad thing, when in reality, they would take the new car if their parents offered. I don’t know many people that would say, “oh, no thanks, I will just drive my old car.”
I really don’t know why people can’t take joy in the happiness of others, I love to see the people around me happy. I love being around kids that are about four years old, they are old enough to converse but they are not in school yet and their minds have not been corrupted yet, they understand feelings and play together, blind to prejudices and stereotypes. I think you have the right to be happy and don’t need anyone’s approval.

DISCLAIMER: I don’t condone finding happiness via criminal behavior or morally unacceptable acts. This was written with a particular situation in mind. There is a difference between morally acceptable and socially acceptable in that morals are almost socially unacceptable today so I chose to ignore social acceptance and cling to morals. Thanks for reading you two!

3 Comments:

Blogger anonymous said...

I think B. is applied to me. I take being a loser gracefully and it makes me happy. Go Geeks!!!

6:55 PM  
Blogger yellow_moosebumps said...

You are the one I wrote this for and you know that. You are not a loser! You are a winner! You get to be happy!

8:43 PM  
Blogger wolfpox said...

I've talked about this before in my blog, and I agree. When society can't label you as anything, and you don't fit into one of their little groups, they call you a loser, and that's supposed to make you feel worse than any other name. At least the freaks, sluts, motorheads, snobs, jocks, preps, nerds, etc. all have a group to fit into.

But if you think about it, in that sense, being a loser is the only way to be independant.

*light goes on*

Oh my goodness... you inspired me, Moosebumps! Thanks, I'll see you on my blog!

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home